Tri Training Week Three

by - Monday, March 05, 2012

I can't believe another week of training has come and gone. Week three started out great, but at the end of the week, the rainy weather forced me to move around some of my workouts. I like that tri training gives me the flexibility to swap an outdoor workout for an indoor one if necessary.

tri training week 3
Week three numbers

I might not have fit in my long run for the week, but I swapped it for a longer ride on the trainer to make up for it. I'm also impressed with all the extra stuff I was able to jam into my week and still make training happen. It really is all about being flexible.

Previous Weeks:
Week One
Week Two

This Week:

Monday: 4 mile run

2.27 run
New running route

After work I met up with a friend in the city and we ran part of Rock Creek Trail through the park. It was a beautiful day, another one of those days in the mid-60's, and there were tons of people out enjoying the weather. My legs felt pretty awesome on this run and it was really fun to run a different route than I normally do.

Tuesday: 40 minutes on the trainer + volleyball

Waking up at 4:30 a.m. to workout was brutal, but it was so worth it. I got my ride in while catching up on some TV on Hulu. Volleyball that night was rough. Not only did I end up with a nasty jammed finger, but our team only won two of our four games. We need to rebound this week if we want to make it to the playoffs.

Wednesday: 5.4 mile run + lifting

Apparently this was the week of running with friends because I met up with a friend again for my Wednesday run. I was actually really grateful to have running plans for Wednesday because the weather was bleak and dreary and I was just not in the mood to run. But I definitely didn't want to be the person to bail on a run, so we met up and logged close 5.5 miles.

2:29 run
Running past some monuments

The rain held off for most of the run and we got to run past several of the monuments around dusk. Of course as we were walking back home, the skies opened up and it started torrential down pouring. We sprinted the last couple of blocks, but were still drenched by the time we got inside.

After drying off a bit and making some protein shakes, we headed to the gym for a short lifting session.

Thursday: 2,800 yards swimming

long swim

Last week's swim session was short and sweet and focused on quick sets. This week's session was more like a long run, with lots of long, slow yardage. I didn't really focus on time at all in this workout, but just focused on maintaining good form over the longer distance sets.

Friday: Rest!

Saturday: 50 minutes on the trainer + bar crawling

Saturday was scheduled to be my 8 mile long run, but when I woke up it was raining outside and I just wasn't in the mood to run 8 miles in the rain. Instead, I hopped on the trainer for a 50 minute ride. Then I met up with some of my friends for a very early St. Patrick's Day bar crawl.

423655_10100882562684158_5700366_59250702_1427539949_n
Emily, me, Laurie and Amy bar crawling

We walked all over the city and I think ultimately hit eight of the 14 bars participating in the crawl. We spent the most time at the last bar where we danced until we were all ready to collapse from exhaustion. My feet haven't hurt so badly since I was in college and used to dance the nights away at Bentley's in College Park.

Sunday: Rest!

I was hoping to get in my 8 miles from Saturday on Sunday, but it just didn't happen. My legs and feet still hurt from walking all over the city during the bar crawl and I also had plans in the afternoon to meet up with friends for the last Terps home basketball game of the season. We ultimately lost in overtime, but I couldn't complain too much because my friends and I got to watch the game from one of the suites at the arena that wasn't being used.

Terps v UVA from the suites
View from the suites

Talk about a sweet upgrade. Huge thanks to my friends that work in the athletic department for the awesome hook up!

Curled up in the leather chairs in the suites
Why yes this is me curled up in my big leather chair watching the game.

All in all, not a bad week of training!

You May Also Like

0 comments