Side Stitches and Sunburn

by - Monday, June 06, 2011

Lesson learned on this weekend's run:

If your chest if horribly sunburned do not put on a sports bra. Do not go running. Seriously do not pass go, do not collect $200.

You will spend the entire run trying to forget the horrible chafing pain and when you get back and see the damage done to your poor sunburned skin, you will spend all weekend digging through your closet to find non-V-neck shirts so that no one else has to see the chafe marks.

Or maybe that's just me.

Side Stitches:


Besides the sunburn, I had another issue on this weekend's run: horrible side stitches starting around the first mile. I wasn't running all that fast since it was warm out, but I kept getting these stabbing pains in my right side.

Side stitches have actually been a kind of common occurrence on my runs lately and I'm not exactly sure why. I mean I know I've severely cut back on my mileage so I'm obviously not in super shape like when I was training for a race, but we're talking little three mile runs here, something I should be able to do in my sleep.

I shouldn't feel like I'm sucking wind after just a mile. I've tried evening out my breathing, intentionally taking deeper, slower breaths, but once a side stitch starts the only thing I've found that will fix it is either stopping and stretching out my side or slowing down to a walk.

Usually the first side stitch doesn't hit until at least a mile in, but after the first one they become much more regular.

Do you guys have any tips for making a side stitch go away and stay away? I hate having to stop and walk every couple of minutes because my side is killing me.

You May Also Like

0 comments