Cooking Challenge: Grilled Veggie Sandwich

by - Friday, December 10, 2010

There was a restaurant by my old office that served the most delicious grilled veggie sandwich. For this week's cooking challenge, I decided to try to re-create it.

I started by taking out my grill plate and chopping up a bunch of veggies.

I used portobello mushrooms, eggplant, and green and red peppers.

DSC04988

I grilled each vegetable for about five minutes on each side. It was enough heat that the veggies softened, but not so much that they became mushy.

DSC04992

Once the veggies were all grilled, I smeared two pieces of wheat bread with zesty garlic hummus and started stacking the veggies.

I started with the peppers.

DSC04993

Then added the mushrooms and finally the eggplant.

DSC04994

The whole sandwich was a leaning tower about to fall apart at any second, but I managed to eat it up before there was any sort of disaster.

DSC04998

This ended up being not nearly as good as the restaurant version. I think part of the problem was that I used a different hummus and I didn't grill the peppers long enough. They were still a little too crunchy compared to the mushrooms and the eggplant.

I think in the future I will just stick to ordering this.

You May Also Like

0 comments