Chlorine-Damaged Hair

by - Wednesday, February 22, 2012

One of the things I hate most about swimming is the damage the chlorine does to my hair.

Case in point, I went for a long overdue hair cut on Monday, and the stylish practically shrank back in horror when she saw what the chlorine was doing to my hair.

To be fair, I didn't put much effort making my hair look nice before the appointment, so I went in with it looking like this.

Before haircut
Oh man can't believe I just posted that picture on the Interwebz.

After she got over her horror, the stylist offered me a couple of suggestions to help counter the effects of the chlorine.

First she suggested I wear a swim cap, but I already do that.

I also told her I use a special shampoo to help remove the chlorine after every swim.

photo (24)

She recommended that I use one of one those super hydrating hair conditioning masks and leave it in my hair for about 15 minutes before rinsing.

She also suggested that I use a very light-weight oil to add some moisture and softness back to my chlorine-dried hair.

At my hair appointment, my stylish worked her magic with both a hair mask and some oil and by the time I was all finished, my hair looked healthy and soft again.

After haircut
Victory!

Now let's hope I can keep it this way for the rest of triathlon training.

Swimmers out there, what do you do to keep your hair from getting completely destroyed by the chlorine?

You May Also Like

0 comments