Cooking Challenge: Using Up Produce

by - Friday, November 26, 2010

I call this recipe the "I'm Leaving for Thanksgiving and Need to Use Up Produce Veggie Mess."

Earlier this week, my produce bin was overflowing with veggies that I needed to use up before I headed back to PA for Thanksgiving.

I decided I was in the mood for some hearty, roasted veggies and quinoa smothered in BBQ sauce.

This recipe couldn't have been an easier.

I chopped my butternut squash, onion and asparagus and spread them on a cookie sheet.

Chopped veggies on cookie sheet

I sprinkled them with one of my favorite seasonings, a delicious mesquite blend.

Veggies all spiced up

I roasted the veggies for about 10 minutes at 350. Then pulled them out, gave them a stir, and popped them back in the oven for another 15 minutes.

While the veggies were roasting, I whipped up the quinoa. All it takes is one part grain to two parts water. Bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for about 15 minutes.

Quinoa grains

Quinoa on the stove

When everything was finished, I piled the veggies on top of the quinoa and then covered everything with BBQ sauce.

Quinoa and veggies

This was delicious, filling and a super easy way to use up produce that otherwise would have gone bad.

You May Also Like

0 comments