Six Miles in the Rain

by - Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I'm happy to report that three weeks into training for the Rock N Roll Philly Half marathon, things seem to be going well. Sure I've had a couple of tough runs, and I've been dealing with some nasty weather, but all in all, I can't complain.

So far, I haven't missed a single run, nor have had I to rearrange my schedule to fit runs in (although in a few weeks I think I'll be doing some shuffling). I've been injury free, only dealing with some muscle tightness here and there.

Saturday's long run was six miles, and it should have been easy. The course I was running was really flat for the most part and I was looking forward to running with some music for once.

But it was raining . Very, very steadily. I knew my iPod wouldn't survive that. Heck I didn't know if I would survive that. I contemplated crawling back into bed, but decided I was awake, dressed and outside. Time to suck it up.

And suck it up I did. For six long, slow miles.

My clothes were soaked and heavy. My legs felt like bricks. I walked a lot.

It was not a cool rain. It was steamy and muggy and gross.

I think the only positive to this run was that despite my clothes being soaked and clinging to me, I somehow didn't chafe. I rewarded my self with a nice cool shower and a two hour nap.

When I woke up at 11 a.m. I felt pretty refreshed and ready to start my weekend of relaxation.

You May Also Like

0 comments