Six tips for staying healthy on vacation

by - Wednesday, February 17, 2010

You know how it is on vacation, you're away from home and your routine. You usually prepare few of your own meals and just want to kick back and relax.

There's nothing wrong with kicking back and relaxing. We all deserve to do that every once in a while. But you can do that and still be healthy.

So I thought I'd share a few of the tips that I used on vacation to stay healthy.

1. Enjoy dessert! Yes that's right. I had dessert every night on the cruise. If you restrict yourself you will be miserable and not enjoy vacation at all. So don't deprive yourself of a treat if you want it.



2. But what the size! You don't need five cookies or a huge slice of cake. Keep dessert portions small and savor them.

3. Fill up on fruits. In warm tropical locales, there's lots of delicious fruit that isn't always in season at home. It's sweet and delicious and juicy. Plus really good for you.


4. Exercise when you can. That doesn't have to mean going to a gym. I walked a ton on vacation and took the stairs everywhere I could. I supplemented that with the gym, but walking around a lot is great exercise.

5. Protein in the morning. My normal routine is cereal in the morning, but on vacation there were delicious veggie omelets every day and I found they kept me so full.

6. Try new foods. By trying new foods you can get all kinds of different vitamins and minerals that might be missing from your normal diet. Plus it's fun to expand your food horizons. I tried falafel for the first time.

You May Also Like

5 comments

  1. Great tips and the pics have made me HUNGRY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:28 PM

    Great tips! I'm going away on vacation in a week and a little worried about how I'm going to keep up my healthy eating. I'm a pretty picky eater so when I'm in an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar food, I tend to stick with my comfort foods - breads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! I've been reading so many sad posts about Lent and giving up everything but your blog post was uplifting and makes it all seem do-able. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips about foods and
    Vitamins. It's very important to choose what we eat for us to avoid sickness.

    ReplyDelete