Wed. and Thurs. Runs

by - Thursday, March 06, 2008

The last two days I've gotten in solid runs that continue to boost my confidence about this half marathon I have coming up.

Wednesday I had scheduled a 40 minute challenging run. I decided that I wanted to try some speed work on the treadmill. I took it easy though because I remembered how poorly things turned out last Monday when I tried to do some speed.

My plan for the run was this: Warm up 5 minutes at 5.o mph. Increase to 5.5 mph for the next five minutes. From there crank the speed up to 6.5 mph for a quarter mile interval and then pull it back down to 5.5 for a half mile of recovery. Repeat until the last 30 minutes of the run were up.

I decided to do half mile recovery because I wanted to make sure I wasn't pushing myself too hard and I didn't want to risk any shin splints or anything. Looking back on it thought I probably could have just done a quarter mile recovery in between each speed set. That will most likely be my plan for next time.

This morning's run was a scheduled 30 minute easy run. But let's be honest, on the treadmill I need to play with either speed or incline to keep myself from getting horribly bored.

So here's what I did: I started out the first 5 minutes at 5.0 mph, and again increased to 5.5 mph for the next five minutes. From there I added .1 mph every minute for the next 10 minutes. My speed topped out at 6.5 mph for one minute. For the last ten minutes I decreased the speed .1 mph, ending on a nice easy 5.5 mph.

I'm not sure what kind of run you could even call that. It wasn't exactly the "easy" run I was supposed to do today, but it wasn't super challenging either.

Tomorrow's another cross-training day and I think I'm going to try to hit the 5:45 a.m. spinning class again.

Catch ya' later!

You May Also Like

9 comments

  1. I think I would call that a 'mixing things up so as not to die of complete boredom on the treadmill' run

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strong runs! You're all set for the half

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on such great training runs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:33 AM

    That's some good running! Way to get creative on the treadmill. I agree, it is boring otherwise. Keep up the good work. You'll be great in that half!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are going to do great on your half!!! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job on the runs, chica! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job!!

    DUKE lost again!!! I was so into that game. I'm just glad that the refs let them play.

    Keep up the good work on your running.

    ReplyDelete